THURSDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS 7-2


WIMA NEWS COPY THURSDAY JULY 2, 2020

>>SHERIFF ASKS FOR PUBLIC’S HELP

(WAPAKONETA, OH) -- AUGLAIZE COUNTY SHERIFF ALLEN F. SOLOMON IS REQUESTING THE PUBLIC’S ASSISTANCE IN IDENTIFYING A TRUCK INVOLVED IN MULTIPLE THEFTS OF ZERO TURN LAWN MOWERS FROM BUSINESSES IN AND AROUND THE WAPAKONETA AREA OVER THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS. THE VEHICLE IN THE VIDEO APPEARS TO BE A TAN OR BEIGE CHEVROLET TRUCK WITH ALUMINUM RUNNING BOARDS, AND IS APPROXIMATELY A 2002 MODEL YEAR. ANYONE HAVING KNOWLEDGE OF THIS VEHICLE IS ASKED TO CONTACT THE AUGLAIZE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE DETECTIVE BUREAU AT 419-739-6555. TO SEE THE VIDEO PROVIDED BY THE SHERIFF GO TO THE WIMA FACEBOOK PAGE.

>>CRIDERSVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT ISSUES STATEMENT ON BRUSHABER

(CRIDERSVILLE, OH) -- THE CRIDERSVILLE POLICE DEPARTMENT YESTERDAY ISSUED A STATEMENT REGARDING A FORMER OFFICER WHO WAS ARRESTED IN CONNECTION WITH DISCHARGING HIS WEAPON IN AN APARTMENT COMPLEX ON MONDAY. THE STATEMENT CONFIRMED THAT MATTHEW BRUSHABER DID WORK FOR THE CRIDERSVILLE PD AND WAS TERMINATED EARLIER THIS YEAR. IT GOES ON TO SAY THAT HE WAS NOT FIRED FOR ANY INCIDENT INVOLVING HIS SERVICE WEAPON AND THAT THE SAFETY OF THE COMMUNITY WAS NEVER THREATENED.

>>THE CITY OF LIMA RE-OPENING CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER MONDAY.

(LIMA, OH) -- THE CITY OF LIMA WILL REOPEN ITS CUSTOMER SERVICE CENTER IN THE OLD TRAIN DEPOT ON NORTH CENTRAL AVENUE MONDAY. THE OFFICE HAS BEEN CLOSED AS PART OF THE CITY'S COVID-19 PROTOCOLS. CUSTOMERS WILL BE REQUIRED TO WEAR FACE MASKS AND HAVE THEIR TEMPERATURE TAKEN. UTILITIES DIRECTOR MIKE CAPRELLA SAYS THE CITY HAS OVER 1,000 DELINQUENT ACCOUNTS. DURING THE PANDEMIC THERE HAS BEEN A STANDING ORDER FROM THE GOVERNOR THAT PREVENTS ANY UTILITIES INTERRUPTIONS OR SHUT DOWNS THROUGH JULY 10TH. WITH THAT ORDER COMING TO AN END, CAPRELLA SAYS THE CITY WILL OFFER SOME OPTIONS TO THOSE WHO ARE BEHIND ON THEIR PAYMENTS. HE SAYS THAT THEY’LL REMOVE DELINQUENT FEES AND SAME DAY TURN ON FEES AND EVEN OFFER PAYMENT PLANS.

>>MAYOR BERGER SAYS TO WEAR MASKS BUT HE CAN’T MANDATE IT

(LIMA, OH) -- LIMA MAYOR DAVID BERGER SAYS THAT HE HAS RECEIVED MANY CALLS FROM CONSTITUENTS TO ISSUE A MANDATORY MASK ORDER FOR THE CITY. BERGER SAYS, THAT WHILE HE URGES CITIZENS TO WEAR MASKS WHEN APPROPRIATE, HE DOESN’T HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO ISSUE SUCH AN ORDER.

BERGER’S COMMENTS CAME ON THE SAME DAY THAT THE CITY OF DAYTON ISSUED SUCH AN ORDER THROUGH ITS CITY COMMISSION. IT UNANIMOUSLY PASSED AN ORDINANCE THE REQUIRES FACE MASKS IN PUBLIC SPACES. NOT WEARING A MASK WILL RESULT IN AN $85 FINE.

UNDER THE ORDINANCE, PEOPLE WITHIN THE CITY LIMITS WILL BE REQUIRED TO WEAR A MASK OR FACE COVERING ANYTIME THEY ARE IN THE PUBLIC SPACE OR WHERE PHYSICAL DISTANCING CANNOT BE MAINTAINED. EXAMPLES INCLUDE GROCERY STORES, LIBRARY BRANCHES, ON PUBLIC TRANSIT, RETAIL ESTABLISHMENTS, RESTAURANTS, BARS AND NIGHTCLUBS.

THE ORDINANCE DOES NOT APPLY WHERE WEARING A MASK WOULD NOT BE PRACTICAL -- SUCH AS WHEN YOU ARE EATING AND DRINKING, OR SWIMMING, OR UNDERGOING A MEDICAL PROCEDURE OR WHERE PHYSICAL DISTANCE CAN BE MAINTAINED.

>>KROGER TO SELL HOME COVID TESTING KITS

(CINCINNATI, OH) -- KROGER HAS GOTTEN THE GREEN LIGHT FROM THE F-D-A FOR COVID-19 AT-HOME TEST.

THE CINCINNATI-BASED COMPANY SAYS IT'S MODEL COMBINES AT-HOME CONVENIENCE WITH TELEHEALTH TECHNOLOGY. MOST TESTS ARE CONFIRMED IN LESS THAN THREE DAYS. KROGER PLANS TO PROCESS MORE THAN 60,000 TEST PER WEEK BY THE END OF THIS MONTH.

>>TOWN HALL MEETING TONIGHT

(LIMA, OH) -- LIMA’S STEERING COMMITTEE ON RACIAL INJUSTICE AND REFORM WILL HOLD A TOWN HALL AT THE IMPACT CENTER AT 2100 NORTH COLE STREET TONIGHT. COMMUNITY REPRESENTATIVES AND LIMA POLICE CHIEF KEVIN MARTIN ARE EXPECTED TO BE ON THE PANEL ADDRESSING THE ISSUES. THE MEETING IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BUT BECAUSE OF SOCIAL DISTANCING PROTOCOLS THE NUMBER WILL BE LIMITED TO ABOUT 50. THEY ARE ASKING FOR PEOPLE PLANNING TO ATTEND TO RSVP THROUGH THEIR FACEBOOK PAGE. FIND IT BY SEARCHING “EVERY VOTE COUNTS IN LIMA.”

FRONT PLATE NOW NOT NECESSARY IN OHIO

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- STARTING TODAY STATE LAW SAYS YOU CAN GET RID OF YOUR FRONT LICENSE PLATE, IF YOU CHOOSE. THE MOVE WILL REPORTEDLY SAVE THE STATE ROUGHLY $1.5 MILLION-A-YEAR. THE REMOVAL OF THE FRONT LICENSE PLATE HAS BEEN MET WITH PUSH BACK FROM LAW ENFORCEMENT MEMBERS. THEY ARGUE THAT FRONT LICENSE PLATES IMPROVE PUBLIC SAFETY AND IT MAKES IT EASIER FOR THEM TO CATCH CRIMINALS. OHIO IS THE 20TH STATE TO DITCH THE PLATES.

WIMA SPORTS COPY THURSDAY JULY 2, 2020

>>TAREN SULLIVAN’S TEAM GETS IN TBT

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- BATH HIGH SCHOOL GRAD AND FORMER UNIVERSITY OF FINDLAY STAR TAREN SULLIVAN WILL BE PART OF THE 2020 EDITION OF THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT. SEEDING AND GAME TIMES FOR THE UPCOMING EVENT AT NATIONWIDE ARENA WERE RELEASED YESTERDAY. OSU ALUMNI TEAM BIG X IS THE NINTH SEED AND WILL FACE OFF AGAINST THE 24TH SEEDED D-2 IN THE OPENING GAME OF THE TOURNAMENT AT 3 P.M. ON JULY 4TH. THE GAME WILL BE TELEVISED ON ESPN. TEAM D2 WAS ORIGINALLY AN ALTERNATE, BUT YESTERDAY WAS SELECTED TO TAKE PART IN THE TOURNAMENT AFTER ANOTHER TEAM DROPPED OUT. DAYTON ALUMNI SQUAD RED SCARE EARNED THE EIGHTH SEED AND WILL PLAY THE WINNER BETWEEN BIG X AND D-2 AT 2 P.M. ON JULY 8TH. NUMBER ONE SEED AND DEFENDING CHAMPS CARMEN'S CREW WILL ALSO PLAY ON JULY 8TH, TAKING ON EITHER 16 SEED HOUSE OF 'PAIGN OR 17 SEED WAR TAMPA.

>>FT. JENNING TABS HOEHN

(FT. JENNINGS, OH) -- FORT JENNINGS HIGH SCHOOL HAS SELECTED TODD HOEHN AS ITS NEW BOYS VARSITY BASKETBALL COACH. THE LIMA NEWS REPORTS THAT HOEHN’S APPOINTMENT WAS APPROVED BY THE BOARD OF EDUCATION LAST WEEK. HOEHN IS ALSO THE LONG-TIME ATHLETIC DIRECTOR AT THE SCHOOL IN ADDITION TO BEING THE DEAN OF STUDENTS AND THE GOLF COACH.

HOEHN TOLD THE NEWS THAT THAT THEY DID INTERVIEW SEVERAL CANDIDATES FOR THE JOB BUT NONE WORKED OUT BECAUSE OF THE UNCERTAINTY OF WHEN AND WHAT TIME THE SCHOOL WOULD OPEN AND HOW QUICKLY THE NEW COACH COULD BECOME ACQUAINTED WITH THE PLAYERS.

>>NFL TO CHOP TWO PRESEASON GAMES

(NEW YORK, NY) -- MULTIPLE REPORTS SAY THE NFL HAS DECIDED TO REDUCE THIS YEAR'S PRESEASON FROM FOUR GAMES TO TWO AMID THE UNCERTAINTY CAUSED BY THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC, WITH AN OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE LEAGUE EXPECTED THURSDAY. WEEKS ONE AND FOUR ARE SPECIFICALLY SLATED TO BE ELIMINATED, WHICH WOULD PLACE THE PRESEASON'S START ON AUG. 20 AND CONCLUSION ON AUG. 30. THE LEAGUE HAD ALREADY CANCELED THE HALL OF FAME EXHIBITION GAME BETWEEN THE STEELERS AND COWBOYS SET FOR AUG. 6. THIS YEAR'S SUPPLEMENTAL DRAFT WILL ALSO BE SCRAPPED FROM THE LEAGUE CALENDAR, WITH POTENTIAL ENTRANTS TO BE INSTEAD ELIGIBLE TO BE TAKEN IN THE 2021 REGULAR DRAFT.