TUESDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS 6-16


WIMA NEWS COPY TUESDAY JUNE 16, 2020

>>TWO ARRESTED IN LIMA DOUBLE MURDER

(LAS VEGAS, NV) -- LIMA POLICE HAVE ANNOUNCED THAT TWO LIMA RESIDENTS WANTED IN CONNECTION WITH A DOUBLE MURDER EARLIER THIS MONTH HAVE BEEN ARRESTED IN LAS VEGAS.

ON MONDAY 32-YEAR OLD CLINTON OWENS JR. AND 31-YEAR OLD MICHELLE ALVES WERE TAKEN INTO CUSTODY IN LAS VEGAS NEVADA BY LAS VEGAS METRO PD. IT HAS YET TO BE DETERMINED WHEN THE TWO WILL BE TRANSPORTED BACK TO LIMA.

THE PAIR ARE WANTED IN THE MURDERS OF 38-YEAR OLD TARISSA SANDERS AND 43-YEAR OLD CHARLES SANDERS. THEY WERE SHOT DEAD AT 413 SOUTH ATLANTIC AVENUE IN LIMA ON JUNE 3.

FELONY WARRANTS WERE ISSUED FOR OWENS AND ALVES THE DAY OF THE MURDERS. CLINTON’S WARRANT WAS FOR HAVING WEAPONS UNDER DISABILITY AND MICHELLE’S WARRANT WAS FOR MURDER.

ANYONE WITH ADDITIONAL INFORMATION REGARDING THIS CRIME IS ASKED TO CONTACT DETECTIVE STEVE STECHSCHULTE AT 419-221-5181,

>>BOMB SQUAD CALLED OUT

(LIMA, OH) -- THE ALLEN COUNTY BOMB SQUAD WAS CALLED OUT TO THE BMV BUILDING ON NORTH ELIZABETH STREET YESTERDAY MORNING. THE ALLEN COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE SAYS THAT AT ABOUT 11:30 A PATRON WAITING IN LINE WAS ACTING STRANGELY AND MADE STATEMENTS INDICATING THAT HE HAD A BOMB IN HIS SUITCASE. THE BOMB SQUAD SUBSEQUENTLY X-RAYED THE PACKAGE AND DETERMINED IT WAS NOT AN EXPLOSIVE DEVICE. THE MAN WHO CAUSED THE SCARE WAS SAID TO BE SUFFERING FROM SOME MENTAL ILLNESS AND WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL FOR EVALUATION. NO ONE WAS INJURED AND NO CRIMINAL CHARGES ARE EXPECTED.

>>BOMB SQUAD CALLED OUT IN CINCINNATI

(CINCINNATI, OH) -- THE BOMB SQUAD SAFELY DETONATED A SUSPICIOUS PACKAGE THAT WAS THROWN AT THE HAMILTON COUNTY JUSTICE COMPLEX IN CINCINNATI THIS MORNING.

THE HAMILTON COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE DEPLOYED ITS HAZARDOUS DEVICES UNIT EARLY TODAY AFTER THE PACKAGE WAS TOSSED OVER A CONCRETE WALL NEAR AN ENTRANCE JUST BEFORE MIDNIGHT OVERNIGHT. OFFICERS EVACUATED THE JUSTICE COMPLEX AND CLOSED SURROUNDING STREETS. THE BOMB SQUAD X-RAYED THE PACKAGE AND DETONATED IT AS A PRECAUTION. NO ONE WAS INJURED. ANGELA AN, O-N-N NEWS.

>>T-MOBILE SAYS CALLING, TEXTING RESTORED AFTER HOURS OF OUTAGES

(UNDATED) -- T-MOBILE SAYS IT'S FIXED CALLING AND TEXTING OUTAGES THAT LASTED MORE THAN 12 HOURS FOR PEOPLE ALL ACROSS THE COUNTRY. SERVICE WENT DOWN JUST AFTER NOON EASTERN TIME AND IT WASN'T RESTORED UNTIL AROUND ONE A.M. THE NATION'S NUMBER-THREE WIRELESS CARRIER SAYS THE PROBLEM WAS NOT A DISTRIBUTED DENIAL-OF-SERVICE ATTACK. A BLOG POST BY CEO MIKE SIEVERT BLAMED THE OUTAGE ON AN "IP TRAFFIC-RELATED ISSUE" THAT CREATED SIGNIFICANT CAPACITY ISSUES IN THE NETWORK CORE.

>>SUPREME COURT WON'T CONSIDER CASES INVOLVING POLICE IMMUNITY, FOR NOW

(WASHINGTON, DC) -- JUSTICES OF THE SUPREME COURT HAVE DECIDED TO STAY OUT OF CASES INVOLVING QUALIFIED IMMUNITY FOR POLICE, FOR NOW. A LONGSTANDING LEGAL DOCTRINE MAKES IT DIFFICULT TO SUE POLICE FOR POLICE MISCONDUCT. CRITICS SAY THE DOCTRINE SHIELDS COPS AND GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS FROM ACCOUNTABILITY. THE HOUSE AND SENATE ARE WORKING ON SEPARATE LEGISLATION ON POLICE REFORMS. THE EFFORTS WERE PROMPTED BY THE RECENT DEATH OF GEORGE FLOYD IN MINNEAPOLIS. FLOYD WAS AN UNARMED BLACK MAN WHO SUFFOCATED WHILE IN POLICE CUSTODY.

>>NO CRIMINALITY AFTER POLICE OFFICERS SICKENED DRINKING SHAKE SHACK MILKSHAKES

(NEW YORK, NY) -- IT APPEARS THERE IS NO CRIMINALITY AFTER THREE NYPD OFFICERS WERE SICKENED DRINKING SHAKES AT A SHAKE SHACK. THE OFFICERS WERE AT A LOWER MANHATTAN LOCATION LAST NIGHT WHEN THEY REPORTED THEIR MILKSHAKES TASTED STRANGE. THE OFFICERS WERE TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL WHERE THEY WERE REPORTED TO BE IN STABLE CONDITION. POLICE UNION OFFICIALS INITIALLY BELIEVED THE DRINKS MAY HAVE BEEN SPIKED WITH A CLEANING SOLUTION. NYPD CHIEF RODNEY HARRISON TWEETED AFTER A THOROUGH INVESTIGATION "IT HAS BEEN DETERMINED THERE WAS NO CRIMINALITY BY SHAKE SHACK EMPLOYEES."

WIMA SPORTS COPY TUESDAY JUNE 16, 2020

>>EZEKIEL ELLIOTT TESTS POSITIVE FOR COVID-19

(DALLAS, TX) -- SOURCES SAY FORMER OSU AND CURRENT DALLAS COWBOYS RUNNING BACK EZEKIEL ELLIOTT HAS TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS. ELLIOTT'S AGENT, ROCKY ARCENEAUX, CONFIRMED A LEAKED REPORT YESTERDAY AND SAID THE PLAYER IS NOT HAPPY THE RESULTS OF THE TEST HAD BEEN MADE PUBLIC. NFL INSIDERS BEGAN REPORTING ON MONDAY THAT SEVERAL MEMBERS OF THE COWBOYS AND THE HOUSTON TEXANS HAD CONTRACTED THE VIRUS, BUT IT IS NOT BELIEVED THEY WERE INFECTED AT A TEAM FACILITY. ARCENEAUX ADDED THAT ELLIOT FEELS GOOD AND IS EXPECTED TO MAKE A FULL RECOVERY.

>>MLB SEASON IN JEOPARDY

(NEW YORK, NY) -- MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL HAS REPORTEDLY TOLD THE MLBPA THAT THERE WILL NOT BE A 2020 SEASON UNLESS THE PLAYERS WAIVE ALL LEGAL CLAIMS AGAINST THE LEAGUE. THE LETTER IS A RESPONSE TO THE PLAYERS' UNION WALKING AWAY FROM THE NEGOTIATING TABLE OVER THE WEEKEND, AND

INCLUDED A STATEMENT THAT THE LEAGUE KNOWS THAT A NUMBER OF MAJOR LEAGUE PLAYERS AND STAFF MEMBERS HAVE TESTED POSITIVE FOR THE CORONAVIRUS. IF COMMISSIONER ROB MANFRED IMPOSES A SCHEDULE TO BE PLAYED, IT WOULD LIKELY BE FOR JUST 50 REGULAR-SEASON GAMES AND COULD LEAD TO THE UNION FILING A GRIEVANCE AGAINST FOR WHAT IT CLAIMS IS A VIOLATION OF A MARCH 26 AGREEMENT BETWEEN THE TWO SIDES THAT SAID THEY WILL NEGOTIATE TO PLAY AS MANY GAMES AS POSSIBLE.

OVER THE WEEKEND, THE PLAYERS REJECTED THE LEAGUE'S MOST RECENT OFFER OF PLAYING 72 GAMES AND PAYING THE PLAYERS BETWEEN 70 AND 83 PERCENT OF THEIR PRORATED SALARIES.

>>THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT TEAMS TO BE ANNOUNCED LATER TODAY

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- THE ANNUAL SUMMER COMPETITION KNOWN AS THE BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT IS SET TO ANNOUNCE ITS 24-TEAM LINEUP THIS AFTERNOON. TBT OFFICIALS WILL REVEAL THE BRACKET TODAY AROUND 1 P.M. WITH DEFENDING CHAMPION AND OSU ALUMNI SQUAD CARMEN'S CREW THE ONLY TEAM TO HAVE SECURED AN AUTOMATIC BERTH. THE TOURNAMENT USUALLY FEATURES 64 TEAMS BUT HAD TO BE SCALED BACK THIS YEAR DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC WITH ALL GAMES TO BE PLAYED AT NATIONWIDE ARENA IN COLUMBUS. THREE OTHER OHIO BASED CLUBS ARE HOPING TO BE CHOSEN, INCLUDING DAYTON ALUMNI TEAM RED SCARE AND TWO OTHER OSU TEAMS, BIG X AND GREAT LAKES ELITE.

>>USTA PREPARED FOR NO FANS AT U.S. OPEN

(WHITE PLAINS, NY) -- THE U.S. TENNIS ASSOCIATION SAID IT IS READY TO HOLD A SPECTATOR-FREE U.S. OPEN IN NEW YORK IF IT GETS APPROVAL FROM STATE OFFICIALS. THE TOURNAMENT IS SCHEDULED TO RUN FROM AUGUST 31 THROUGH SEPTEMBER 13 AT FLUSHING MEADOWS AND WOULD BE THE SECOND GRAND SLAM EVENT OF THE YEAR FOLLOWING JANUARY'S AUSTRALIAN OPEN. WIMBLEDON WAS CANCELED DUE TO THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC AND THE FRENCH OPEN WAS PUSHED BACK TO THE WEEK AFTER THE U.S. OPEN.