MONDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS 6-1


WIMA NEWS COPY MONDAY JUNE 1, 2020

>>RIOTS, PROTESTS CONTINUE

(LIMA, OH) -- IN THE AFTERMATH OF THE DEATH OF GEORGE FLOYD WHILE IN THE CUSTODY OF THE MINNEAPOLIS POLICE DEPARTMENT LAST WEEK, PROTESTS AND RIOTS HAVE BEEN ONGOING ACROSS OHIO AND THE NATION. WHILE MANY PROTESTS HAVE DEGENERATED INTO RIOTS AND LOOTING, SATURDAY’S MARCH IN LIMA CAME OFF WITHOUT ANY VIOLENCE OR ISSUES ACCORDING TO LIMA POLICE CHIEF KEVIN MARTIN.

LPD REPORTS THAT LAST NIGHT AND THE OVERNIGHT THIS MORNING WERE UNEVENTFUL AS WELL.

>>UNREST ACROSS THE BUCKEYE STATE

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- MEANWHILE, OTHER OHIO CITIES ARE WITNESSING UNREST. WE GET MORE FROM THE ONN’S DANIEL BARNETT.

GOVERNOR MIKE DEWINE CALLED UPON THE OHIO NATIONAL GUARD AND STATE HIGHWAY PATROL TO HELP ENFORCE LAWS IN COLUMBUS AND CLEVELAND, AMID PROTESTS THERE AND THROUGHOUT THE STATE.

THE MAYORS OF COLUMBUS AND CLEVELAND BOTH ANNOUNCED 10 P.M. CURFEWS FOLLOWING DAMAGE TO BUSINESSES AMID PROTESTS OVER THE DEATH IN MINNEAPOLIS OF GEORGE FLOYD. GOV. DEWINE SAID SATURDAY THAT THE VAST MAJORITY OF PROTESTERS WANTED “SIMPLY TO BE HEARD” AND FOCUS ATTENTION ON THE DEATH OF FLOYD, A BLACK MAN WHO DIED AFTER AN EXCESSIVE USE OF FORCE BY A WHITE OFFICER, AND OTHER INJUSTICES. BUT HE SAID THEIR VOICES “ARE SADLY BEING DROWNED OUT BY A SMALLER GROUP OF VIOLENT INDIVIDUALS."

ALSO OUR IHEART RADIO SISTER STATION WLW IN CINCINNATI REPORTED THAT POLICE THERE WERE MAKING MASS ARRESTS LAST NIGHT IN THE OVER THE RHINE NEIGHBORHOOD AND WERE TELLING PEOPLE THAT EVERYONE SHOULD BE OFF THE STREETS.

>>FIRE ON SOUTH MAIN STREET

(LIMA, OH) -- LIMA FIREFIGHTERS WERE ON SCENE FOR OVER THREE HOURS OVERNIGHT BATTLING A VACANT HOME FIRE AT 1131 SOUTH MAIN STREET. THE STRUCTURE WAS DEEMED A TOTAL LOSS AND THE BLAZE IS CONSIDERED SUSPICIOUS. AN ADJACENT OCCUPIED HOME HAD ITS VINYL SIDING MELTED BY THE FLAMES. ANOTHER ADJACENT STRUCTURE WHICH IS UNOCCUPIED ALSO SUFFERED MINOR DAMAGE. THERE WERE NO INJURIES.

>>COVID-19 NUMBERS

(LIMA, OH) -- ON THE CORONAVIRUS FRONT, IN CONTINUES TO BE HELD IN CHECK LOCALLY, AS THE ALLEN COUNTY NUMBERS REFLECT THAT THE FINAL WEEK OF MAY SAW JUST TWO HOSPITALIZATIONS AND ONE DEATH. THE ALLEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT REPORTS THAT THERE ARE 47 ACTIVE CASES IN THE COUNTY.

>>ELM STREET AND PINE STREET TO CLOSE TODAY

(LIMA, OH) -- TWO BRIDGE PROJECTS IN LIMA ARE SCHEDULED TO BEGIN TODAY, LEADING TO STREET CLOSURES THAT ARE EXPECTED TO LAST FOR SIX MONTHS.

BRIDGE REPAIR WORK WILL CLOSE ELM STREET AND PINE STREETS WHERE THEY INTERSECT. THEY’RE EXPECTED TO REMAIN CLOSED THROUGH NOVEMBER.

WIMA SPORTS COPY MONDAY JUNE 1, 2020

>MLBPA MAKES COUNTEROFFER

(NEW YORK, NY) -- MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL PLAYERS ARE PROPOSING A 114-GAME REGULAR SEASON WHILE CONTINUING TO BALK AT ANY FURTHER REDUCTIONS IN PAY, ACCORDING A REPORT FROM THE ASSOCIATED PRESS. THE PLAYERS' OFFER CALLS FOR THE DELAYED 2020 REGULAR SEASON TO BEGIN JUNE 30 AND END OCT. 31 AND A PLAYOFF SYSTEM INVOLVING 14 TEAMS TO FOLLOW. IN THEIR LATEST PROPOSAL TO THE PLAYERS' UNION, MLB OWNERS HAD CALLED FOR AN 82-GAME REGULAR SEASON FOLLOWED BY A 14-TEAM POSTSEASON AND A SLIDING-SCALE PAY SYSTEM THAT WOULD REDUCE SALARIES BEYOND THE PRO-RATED PLAN THE PLAYERS HAD AGREED TO IN MARCH, WHICH HAS DRAWN STAUNCH RESISTANCE FROM THE UNION. THE OWNERS' OFFER ALSO HAD THE REGULAR SEASON CONCLUDING IN LATE SEPTEMBER.

>>KESELOWSKI WINS AT BRISTOL

(BRISTOL, TN) -- BRAD KESELOWSKI INHERITED THE LEAD WITH THREE LAPS TO GO AND WENT ON TO WIN THE SUPERMARKET HEROES 500 AT BRISTOL MOTOR SPEEDWAY FOR HIS SECOND CUP SERIES VICTORY IN A WEEK. KESELOWSKI, WHO WON LAST SUNDAY'S COCA-COLA 600 AT CHARLOTTE MOTOR SPEEDWAY, MOVED TO THE FRONT WHEN RACE LEADERS CHASE ELLIOTT AND JOEY LOGANO COLLIDED AND CRASHED WHILE BATTLING FOR TOP POSITION. CLINT BOWYER FINISHED SECOND WITH JIMMIE JOHNSON, KYLE BUSCH AND ERIK JONES COMPLETING THE TOP FIVE, WHILE BOTH ELLIOTT AND LOGANO ENDED OUTSIDE THE TOP 20 FOLLOWING THE WRECK.

>>BASKETBALL GUARD CJ WALKER MAKES DECISION TO RETURN TO OHIO STATE FOR SENIOR SEASON

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- OHIO STATE GUARD C.J. WALKER IS WITHDRAWING FROM THE NBA DRAFT AND WILL RETURN TO PLAY BASKETBALL FOR THE BUCKEYES. WALKER POSTED A MESSAGE ON INSTAGRAM OVER THE WEEKEND ANNOUNCING HIS DECISION TO COME BACK TO OSU FOR HIS SENIOR SEASON. IN APRIL, WALKER DECLARED FOR THE DRAFT UNDER AN NBA RULE THAT ALLOWS PLAYERS TO GO THROUGH THE PROCESS, AND THEN RETURN TO SCHOOL BEFORE THE DRAFT OR IF THEY GO UNDRAFTED. LAST YEAR IN COLUMBUS, WALKER APPEARED IN 31 GAMES WITH 29 STARTS, AVERAGING EIGHT-POINTS, AND THREE ASSISTS PER GAME.

1150 WIMA · Lima's News, Weather, and Sports

Listen Now on iHeartRadio