WEDNESDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS


WIMA NEWS COPY WEDNESDAY MAY 13, 2020

>>COVID-19 CASES

(LIMA, OH) -- THE ALLEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT REPORTED EIGHT NEW CASE OF COVID-19 YESTERDAY, THE HIGHEST NUMBER IN OVER A WEEK. HOWEVER, HOSPITALIZATIONS REMAIN QUITE LOW WITH ONLY NINE OVER THE PAST 20 DAYS. THERE WAS ONE DEATH REPORTED YESTERDAY, RAISING THE COUNTY’S TOTAL TO 30.

>>PHASE THREE BEGINS

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- PHASE THREE OF GOVERNOR MIKE DEWINE'S PLAN TO REOPEN OHIO'S ECONOMY WENT INTO EFFECT TUESDAY, ALLOWING CUSTOMERS BACK IN RETAIL STORES AROUND THE STATE, BUT UNDER NEW GUIDELINES. RETAILERS HAVE BEEN PREPPING STORES TO MAKE SURE THEY'RE SANITIZED AND MAKING SURE CUSTOMERS AND EMPLOYEES WILL BE ABLE TO PRACTICE SAFE DISTANCING. MANY STORES AND LOCATIONS WILL HAVE SIGNS UP SUPPLYING PROTOCOLS TO CUSTOMERS THAT COULD BE DIFFERENT FROM PLACE TO PLACE. ACCORDING TO THE OHIO COUNCIL OF RETAIL MERCHANTS, CUSTOMERS MAY SEE THESE PROTOCOLS IN PLACE FOR SOME TIME.

>>MORE REOPENINGS

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- AS OHIO'S ECONOMY CONTINUES THE PROCESS OF RE-OPENING, A NEW SET OF BUSINESSES HAS BEEN GIVEN A DATE IN WHICH THEY WILL BE ALLOWED TO RE-OPEN.

LT. GOVERNOR JON HUSTED YESTERDAY ANNOUNCED THAT THAT TATTOO, PIERCING AND MASSAGE BUSINESSES - WHICH HAVE BEEN CLOSED SINCE MID-MARCH - HAVE BEEN GIVEN PERMISSION TO REOPEN ON FRIDAY.

OHIO IS STILL SHAPING GUIDANCE ON HOW TO SAFELY RE-OPEN OTHER INDUSTRIES THAT REMAIN CLOSED, INCLUDING GYMS, CASINOS AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES.

>>GYM LAWSUITS

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- SOME GYM OWNERS ACROSS OHIO ARE NOW SUING THE STATE, SAYING THEY HAVE BEEN LEFT OUT OF PLANS TO RE-OPEN.

THIRTY-FIVE INDEPENDENT GYMS ACROSS THE STATE FILED A LAWSUIT AGAINST THE STATE. THE SUIT CLAIMS LEAVING GYMS OUT OF THE "STAY SAFE OHIO ORDER" VIOLATES OPERATORS' RIGHTS. THE GOVERNOR SAYS A WORKING GROUP IS COMING UP WITH REOPENING RULES FOR GYMS. HE SAID HE SHOULD HAVE AN ANNOUNCEMENT AS SOON AS THEY'RE DONE DISCUSSING THIS.

>>LIMA SHOOTING

(LIMA, OH) -- YESTERDAY JUST BEFORE 1:00 P.M. LIMA POLICE RESPONDED TO 216 WEST O’CONNOR AVENUE IN REFERENCE TO A SHOOTING. UPON ARRIVAL, OFFICERS LOCATED 38-YEAR OLD LAMONDA PRYOR 38 YEARS OLD OF LIMA, AT THE RESIDENCE WITH A NON-LIFE THREATENING GUNSHOT WOUND TO HIS LEG. THE SUSPECT WAS LATER IDENTIFIED AS CAMERON ROGERS, 29 YEARS OLD OF LIMA. MR. ROGERS WAS SUBSEQUENTLY TAKEN INTO CUSTODY AND WAS CHARGED WITH SUSPICION OF FELONIOUS ASSAULT.

>>PAULDING COUNTY FAIR CANCELLED

(PAULDING, OH) -- EARLIER THIS WEEK THE PAULDING COUNTY AG SOCIETY ANNOUNCED THAT THE 2020 PAULDING COUNTY FAIR HAS BEEN CANCELLED. LAST WEEK THE MARION COUNTY FAIR WAS CANCELLED.

THE FIRST COUNTY FAIR IS IN ABOUT FOUR WEEKS AND GOVERNOR DEWINE SAID HIS FAIR ADVISORY BOARD IS STILL WORKING ON GUIDELINES FOR CONDUCTING FAIRS SAFELY.

WIMA NEWS COPY WEDNESDAY MAY 13, 2020

>>MID-AMERICAN CONFERENCE TO ELIMINATE CONFERENCE TOURNAMENTS IN MULTIPLE SPORTS

(CLEVELAND, OH) -- THE MID-AMERICAN CONFERENCE IS PLANNING TO ELIMINATE TOURNAMENTS FOR MULTIPLE SPORTS AND MAKE ADJUSTMENTS TO MEN'S AND WOMEN'S BASKETBALL. MAC OFFICIALS ANNOUNCED YESTERDAY THAT THERE WOULD BE NO POST-SEASON TOURNAMENTS FOR BASEBALL, SOFTBALL, FIELD HOCKEY, AND BOTH MEN'S AND WOMEN'S SOCCER, TENNIS, AND LACROSSE. FOR BASKETBALL, THE MAC WILL ADD TWO MORE CONFERENCE GAMES, ELIMINATE THE TWO TWO-DIVISION FORMAT, AND HAVE THE TOP EIGHT TEAMS QUALIFY FOR THE LEAGUE TOURNAMENT IN CLEVELAND.

>>OHIO HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION MOVING STATE GIRLS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT TO DAYTON

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- THE OHIO HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION SAYS THEY ARE MOVING THE STATE GIRLS BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT SEMI-FINALS AND CHAMPIONSHIP TO DAYTON. OHSAA ANNOUNCED YESTERDAY THAT UD ARENA ON THE CAMPUS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF DAYTON WILL HOST THE EVENT BEGINNING IN MARCH 2021 AND LASTING THROUGH 2023. THE TOURNAMENT HAD BEEN PREVIOUSLY HELD IN COLUMBUS AT THE SCHOTTENSTEIN CENTER AND ST. JOHN ARENA, BUT SCHEDULING CONFLICTS MADE A MOVE TO DAYTON NECESSARY. BUILT IN 1969, UD ARENA RECENTLY COMPLETED A THREE-YEAR RENOVATION THAT UPDATED SEATING, THE VIDEO BOARD, TERRACE SUITES, BATHROOMS, AND IMPROVED WI-FI.

>>NBA STARS WANT TO PLAY

(UNDATED) -- A NUMBER OF THE NBA’S BEST PLAYERS REPORTEDLY TOOK PART IN A PRIVATE CONFERENCE CALL MONDAY TO DISCUSS RESUMING THE 2019-20 SEASON. ACCORDING TO YAHOO SPORTS, CHRIS PAUL, THE PLAYERS ASSOCIATION PRESIDENT, ORGANIZED THE CALL THAT INCLUDED LEBRON JAMES, ANTHONY DAVIS, STEPHEN CURRY, KAWHI LEONARD, GIANNIS ANTETOKOUNMPO, RUSSELL WESTBROOK AND KEVIN DURANT. THE GROUP WAS IN AGREEMENT THAT GAMES SHOULD RESUME ONCE THE LEAGUE DEEMS IT BEING SAFE AND THE PROPER SAFETY MEASURES ARE INSTILLED.

1150 WIMA · Lima's News, Weather, and Sports

Listen Now on iHeartRadio