FRIDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS


WIMA NEWS COPY FRIDAY APRIL 17, 2020

>>ALLEN COUNTY CASES OF COVID-19

(LIMA, OH) -- THE ALLEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT REPORTED SIX NEW CONFIRMED CASES OF COVID-19 YESTERDAY, BRINGING THE COUNTY’S TOTAL CASE COUNT TO 57. THERE WAS THREE NEW HOSPITALIZATIONS, UPPING THE TOTAL TO 31. THE DEATH TOTAL INCREASED FROM FOUR TO SIX.

>>DEWINE PLAN

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- GOVERNOR MIKE DEWINE YESTERDAY SAID THAT, BEGINNING MAY 1, OHIO WILL START TO TAKE STEPS TO RETURN THE STATE TO NORMALCY.

THINGS WON'T HAPPEN ALL AT ONCE. BUT THE PLAN IS TO START OPENING BUSINESSES THAT ARE ABLE TO SHOW THEY CAN KEEP EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS SAFE. HERE ARE SOME EXAMPLES OF WHAT PROTOCOL COULD LOOK LIKE: HEALTH SCREENINGS AS SOMEONE COMES TO WORK; MANDATORY MASKS; MAINTAINING SOCIAL DISTANCING; AND LIMITING VISITORS. OF COURSE, NO PLAN WILL GUARANTEE PEOPLE WON'T GET COVID-19, BUT IT WILL HELP. DEWINE SAYS SOME THINGS ARE GOING TO TAKE MORE TIME THAN OTHERS TO RETURN TO NORMAL.

>>UNEMPLOYMENT NUMBERS

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- OVER THE LAST FOUR WEEKS, 855-THOUSAND OHIOANS HAVE LOST THEIR JOBS, OR ABOUT 15-PERCENT OF THE STATE'S WORKFORCE.

THE TOTAL NUMBER OF CLAIMS FILED IKN THE LAST FOUR WEEKS IS MORE THAN THE LAST TWO YEARS COMBNIED. THE STATE IS STARTING TO PROCESS THOSE ADDITIONAL 600-DOLLAR PER WEEK PAYMENTS AUTHORIZED UNDER THE FEDERAL CARES ACT AND IS LAUNCHING AN ONLINE TOOL FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE SELF-EMPLOYED.

>>WOFB DISTRIBUTIONS IN LIMA APRIL 28TH

(LIMA, OH) -- WITH DEMAND RISING TO SELDOM SEEN LEVELS, THE WEST OHIO FOOD BANK IN LIMA IS HOLDING A SECOND FOOD DISTRIBUTION EVENT FOR LIMA COMING UP ON APRIL 28TH. IN ORDER TO ABLE TO TAKE PART IN THE DISTRIBUTION, THOSE IN NEED MUST PRE-REGISTER. PEOPLE CAN REGISTER FOR THAT DISTRIBUTION AT EVENTBRITE.COM.

THE OHIO NATIONAL GUARD HAS BEEN SERVING AS THE MANPOWER FOR THESE DISTRIBUTIONS AS MANY OF THE FOOD BANK’S VOLUNTEERS HAVE BEEN KEPT AWAY BY THE SOCIAL DISTANCING GUIDELINES TO COMBAT COVID-19.

THE EVENT ON THE 28TH WILL BE HELD AT THE FOOD BANK’S LOCATION ON EAST KIBBY STREET ACROSS FROM KEWPEE EAST.

IF YOU WANT TO HELP THE FOOD BANK, THE BEST WAY IS THROUGH MONETARY DONATIONS.

WIMA SPORTS COPY FRIDAY APRIL 17, 2020

>>FORMER BUCKEYE MIKE CONLEY BEATS ZACH LAVINE FOR NBA'S HORSE CHAMPIONSHIP

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- FORMER OSU AND CURRENT JAZZ GUARD MIKE CONLEY BEAT ZACH LAVINE OF THE CHICAGO BULLS IN THE CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE NBA'S HORSE COMPETITION YESTERDAY. CONLEY BEAT RETIRED WNBA LEGEND TAMIKA CATCHINGS ON SUNDAY IN THE FIRST ROUND AND THEN DEFEATED CHAUNCEY BILLUPS ON THURSDAY IN THE SEMI-FINALS TO GET TO LEVINE. ONCE AGAIN PLAYING FROM AN INDOOR COURT ATTACHED TO HIS COLUMBUS AREA HOME, CONLEY WON THE TOSS AND QUICKLY GOT LAVINE TO H-O BEFORE THE GAME BECAME A BACK-AND-FORTH AFFAIR UNTIL CONLEY PULLED AWAY FOR THE WIN. STATE FARM INSURANCE WILL NOW MAKE A DONATION OF 100-THOUSAND DOLLARS IN MIKE CONLEY'S NAME TO SUPPORT CORONAVIRUS RELIEF EFFORTS.

>>TOP RECRUIT SPURNS COLLEGE, SIGNS WITH G-LEAGUE

(MERCED, CA) -- JALEN GREEN, CONSIDERED AS THE TOP RECRUIT IN THIS YEAR'S HIGH SCHOOL CLASS, SAID HE WILL SKIP COLLEGE AND HAS SIGNED WITH THE G LEAGUE FOR NEXT SEASON. GREEN IS THE FIRST PLAYER TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF A NEW POTENTIAL PATH TO THE NBA AND WILL BE ELIGIBLE FOR THE 2021 DRAFT, WHERE HE COULD BE AMONG THE TOP PICKS. AS PART OF A STILL-BEING-DEVELOPED PROGRAM, GREEN WON'T PLAY FOR ANY G LEAGUE TEAM OR WITH AFFILIATION WITH AN NBA FRANCHISE, INSTEAD FOCUSING ON DRAFT PREPARATION, BASKETBALL READINESS AND LIFE SKILLS.

>>BROWNS BRASS BASH BECKHAM BARTER BANTER

(CLEVELAND, OH) -- BROWNS CHIEF STRATEGY OFFICER PAUL DEPODESTA SHOT DOWN RUMORS THAT THE TEAM HAS BEEN IN TRADE DISCUSSIONS WITH THE VIKINGS REGARDING WIDE RECEIVER ODELL BECKHAM JR. A NEW YORK SPORTS RADIO STATION REPORTED EARLIER IN THE WEEK THAT THE BROWNS AND VIKINGS WERE IN TALKS TO SEND BECKHAM TO MINNESOTA FOR 2021 SECOND AND FIFTH-ROUND DRAFT PICKS, WHICH DEPODESTA CALLED "COMPLETELY FALSE" DURING A VIDEO CONFERENCE. CLEVELAND ACQUIRED THE THREE-TIME PRO BOWLER FROM THE GIANTS IN A BLOCKBUSTER TRADE LAST MARCH AND STILL HAS FOUR YEARS REMAINING ON HIS CURRENT CONTRACT.

>>PGA PLANS PROFFERED

(PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL) -- THE PGA TOUR ANNOUNCED IT WILL ATTEMPT TO ESTART ITS SEASON ON JUNE 11 WITH THE CHARLES SCHWAB CHALLENGE, BUT PLAY WILL BE CLOSED TO THE PUBLIC FOR AT LEAST THE FIRST FOUR EVENTS ON ITS REVAMPED SCHEDULE.