WEDNESDAY MORNING NEWS AND SPORTS


WIMA NEWS COPY WEDNESDAY APRIL 15, 2020

>>ALLEN COUNTY SEES NEW DAILY HIGH IN COVID-19 CASES

(LIMA, OH) -- THE ALLEN COUNTY HEALTH DEPARTMENT REPORTS THAT THERE ARE NOW 46 COVID-19 CASES IN THE COUNTY WITH NINE NEW CASES REPORTED YESTERDAY. THAT IS THE LARGEST ONE-DAY INCREASE THE COUNTY HAS SEEN AND THE TOTAL HAS DOUBLED FROM 23 TO 46 OVER THE LAST FOUR DAYS. AS FOR HOSPITALIZATIONS, THAT NUMBER INCREASED BY SIX TO 27. THE NUMBER OF DEATHS IN THE COUNTY FROM COVID-19 REMAINED AT FOUR.

>>REOPEN PRESSURE

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- GOVERNOR MIKE DEWINE IS FACING INCREASING PRESSURE TO RESTART SOME NONESSENTIAL WORK AROUND THE STATE.

MUCH OF THAT PRESSURE IS COMING FROM LAWMAKERS AND BUSINESS OWNERS IN AREAS OF THE STATE WITH FEW CONFIRMED CASES OF THE CORONAVIRUS - SOME FROM FELLOW REPUBLICANS. HE SAYS HIS ADMINISTRATION IS WORKING ON WHAT STEPS ARE NEEDED TO GRADUALLY GET PEOPLE BACK TO WORK. BUT HE SAYS PROTECTING OHIOANS IS HIS FIRST PRIORITY. SOME LAWMAKERS FROM RURAL OHIO ARE SUGGESTING THAT REOPENING BUSINESSES SHOULD BE DECIDED ON A COUNTY-BY-COUNTY BASIS, INCLUDING LOCAL STATE SENATOR MATT HUFFMAN.

>>MAGIC NUMBER

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- THE QUESTION THAT EVERYONE AROUND OHIO WANTS ANSWERED: WHAT IS IT GOING TO TAKE TO TRANSITION BACK TO NORMAL AND TO RE-OPEN OHIO'S ECONOMY? O-N-N'S KEVIN LANDERS SAYS THE STATE'S HEALTH DIRECTOR DISCUSSED THE "MAGIC NUMBER" YESTERDAY.

DR. AMY ACTON EXPLAINED EVERY DOCTOR IN THE WORLD IS TRYING TO FIND THAT MAGIC NUMBER THAT WOULD ALLOW BUSINESSES TO RE-OPEN SAFELY. SHE EXPLAINED THAT IT’S GENERALLY THOUGHT THAT THEY WOULD NEED TO SEE A FLATTENING OF THE NUMBERS OF CASES AND HOSPITALIZATIONS OVER A PERIOD OF AT LEAST TWO WEEKS IN ORDER TO CONSIDER LOOSENING RESTRICTIONS.

>>GIRL WHO DIED IN FATAL SHOOTING IDENTIFIED

(VAN WERT, OH) -- VAN WERT COUNTY SHERIFF THOMAS M. RIGGENBACH HAS IDENTIFIED THE YOUNG GIRL WHO DIED IN A FATAL SHOOTING IN MIDDLE POINT LAST THURSDAY. KILLED IN THE INCIDENT WAS 4-YEAR OLD AUBRIE MOORE.

THE LIMA NEWS REPORTS THAT AN AUTOPSY, PERFORMED BY THE LUCAS COUNTY CORONER’S OFFICE DESCRIBED THE CHILD’S DEATH AS A “SUSPECTED ACCIDENT.”

THE VAN WERT COUNTY PROSECUTING ATTORNEY TOLD THE LIMA NEWS THAT THE INCIDENT APPEARS TO BE AN ACCIDENT BUT THEY HAVE NOT REACHED ANY CONCLUSIONS AS THEY CONTINUE THEIR INVESTIGATION.

>>STREET CLOSURE COMING IN DOWNTOWN LIMA

(LIMA, OH) -- THE CITY OF LIMA ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT SAYS THAT THE 100 BLOCK OF SOUTH UNION STREET BETWEEN MARKET AND SPRING STREET WILL BE CLOSED FOR A UTILITY INSTALLATION TOMORROW AND FRIDAY. TRAFFIC WILL BE TEMPORARILY DETOURED TO EITHER MAIN STREET OR SOUTH JACKSON STREET.

WIMA SPORTS COPY WEDNESDAY APRIL 15, 2020

>>OSU BASKETBALL PLAYER TO EXPLORE ENTERING NBA DRAFT WITH EYE ON RETURNING FOR SENIOR YEAR

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- OSU POINT GUARD C.J. WALKER SAYS HE PLANS TO EXPLORE ENTERING THE NBA DRAFT WITH THE INTENTION OF RETURNING FOR A SENIOR YEAR. OHIO STATE HEAD COACH CHRIS HOLTMANN SAID YESTERDAY THAT WALKER WOULD TAKE ADVANTAGE OF AN NBA RULE WHICH ALLOWS PLAYERS TO DECLARE, GO THROUGH THE PROCESS, AND THEN RETURN TO SCHOOL IF THEY GO UNDRAFTED. WALKER WILL NOW BE ABLE TO GET FEEDBACK FROM PROFESSIONAL NBA TEAMS AND SCOUTS WHILE MAINTAINING HIS COLLEGE ELIGIBILITY. LAST SEASON WITH THE BUCKEYES, WALKER AVERAGED ELEVEN-POINTS PER GAME.

>>FORMER BASKETBALL BUCKEYE TRANSFER CHOOSES ARIZONA STATE AS NEXT STOP

(COLUMBUS, OH) -- FORMER OHIO STATE GUARD LUTHER MUHAMMAD SAYS HE HAS DECIDED TO TRANSFER TO ARIZONA STATE TO FINISH HIS CAREER. MUHAMMAD ENTERED THE NCAA TRANSFER PORTAL LAST WEEK AFTER SPENDING TWO YEARS WITH THE BUCKEYES, WHERE HE AVERAGED SEVEN-POINT-THREE-POINTS, TWO-AND-A-HALF REBOUNDS, ONE ASSIST, AND ONE STEAL PER GAME. MUHAMMAD SAID HE CHOSE ARIZONA STATE BECAUSE ASU COACH BOBBY HURLEY'S OFFENSE IS GUARD-DRIVEN, AND HE CAN HAVE A MORE PROMINENT OFFENSIVE ROLE. MUHAMMAD HAS TWO YEARS OF ELIGIBILITY LEFT BUT WILL HAVE TO SIT OUT THIS SEASON BEFORE BEING ABLE TO JOIN THE SUN DEVILS.

>>UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI TO NO LONGER SPONSOR MEN'S SOCCER PROGRAM

(CINCINNATI, OH) -- THE UNIVERSITY OF CINCINNATI SAYS THEY ARE DISCONTINUING THEIR MEN'S SOCCER PROGRAM. THE SCHOOL ANNOUNCED THE MOVE ON TUESDAY, SAYING THE DECISION CAME AFTER A REVIEW OF UC'S SPORTS OFFERINGS AND LONG-TERM BUDGET IMPLICATIONS. THE UNIVERSITY WILL HONOR SCHOLARSHIPS FOR CURRENT PLAYERS ON THE SOCCER TEAM FOR THE DURATION OF THEIR CAREERS, AND THEY WILL BE ALLOWED TO TRANSFER TO ANOTHER SCHOOL WITHOUT PENALTY. UC BEGAN ITS SOCCER TEAM IN 1973, AND IT HAD AN ALL-TIME RECORD OF 385-408-AND-84.

1150 WIMA · Lima's News, Weather, and Sports

Listen Now on iHeartRadio